NABB’s Architecture Committee reviews projects that impact the architecture and streetscapes of the Back Bay Historic District. The committee’s main purpose is to provide input to the Back Bay Architectural Commission (BBAC), a city commission that has jurisdiction over any exterior changes to buildings in the Back Bay.
At its monthly meeting, the committee hears presentations and discusses the significant applications scheduled to appear before the BBAC that month. Although the committee has no regulatory power itself, it does provide input to the BBAC and useful feedback to applicants as to the appropriateness of their proposals. The committee’s position is reported to the applicant and then to the BBAC at its monthly meeting.
The committee’s goal is to influence the applicant’s proposal and the decisions made by the BBAC to improve the residential quality of life and preserve the Historic District. Although the committee’s main focus is on reviewing BBAC applications, it is also concerned with other proposals that have architectural or visual impact on the District.
Membership in the Architecture Committee is open to any member of NABB who resides in the Back Bay. Although sensitivity to the architectural quality of the district is important, no expertise is necessary.
- View a list of books on architecture in Boston and the Back Bay.
- An overview of Boston’s historic districts and Landmark Commission can be found here
- The Back Bay Architectural Commission website contains a brief history of the Back Bay, a map of the district, the Back Bay Architectural Commission’s Residential and Business Guidelines, and application information and forms. Any exterior changes to a building in the Back Bay need to be approved by the Back Bay Architectural Commission. Start here if you are contemplating making any exterior architectural changes to a Back Bay building.
- Introduction to the Back Bay Architectural Commission, by Sue Prindle, Chair, NABB Architecture Committee.
- History of the Back Bay Architectural Commission
- Details of Back Bay Architectural Commission Enabling Legislation